It includes a stereo MP3 decoder chip VS1053 which can decode multiple formats (Ogg vorbis, MP3, MP1, MP2, MPEG4, WMA, FLAC, WAV, MIDI), and encode three different formats from microphone in mono or stereo format (Ogg vorbis, IMA ADPCM, 16-bit PCM). Board uses industry-standard Serial Peripheral Interface for communication, and can only use 3.3V power supply. Board features stereo headphone and microphone audio connectors.
1. VS1053 is the most powerful chip of VLSI Company VS10xx series can play all kinds of music formats, also support OGG real-time encoding recording.
2. SPI port, control signal line is leaded out.
3. Headphones and audio output interface.
4. A microphone for recording.
5. A line in input interface.
6. On-board 3.3V and 1.8V LDO chip AMS-1117, the largest provider of 800Ma.
7. Single power supply: +5 VDC with capacitor filter.
8. Using 12.288 MHz crystal
Some handy links:
- VS1053 specification and datasheet: http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1053.html
- Arduino library for the VS1053 chip: http://mpflaga.github.io/Sparkfun-MP3-Player-Shield-Arduino-Library/
- Support forum for the above library: http://www.billporter.info/forum/forum/sparkfun-mp3-shield-support-forum/